Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

I started a 'firestorm' on my webring - 06/01/2008
I pay to have my webring "Ad Free" and listed in the top of my category. Having said that, I recently checked my webring members and started (1) "deleting" members who belonged to more than 5 webrings, because they weren't providing any clickthroughs TO other webring members and (2) "deleting" members who had a "landing page" for webring code only, and (3) "deleting" members who had "background" music and (4) "deleting" members who had popups and other stuff flying around their "landing page" and (5) "deleting" members who had banners, ads, google adsense, affiliate links, and other annoying entrance and exit popups and I almost decided to "delete" members who hadn't updated their website for the past 6 months. I'm beginning to believe that webrings have lost their way on the web. Too much maintenance and aggravation for the small amount of positive things that webrings used to be good for. ANY COMMENTS??? Can anyone help me decide against giving up on webrings? Jim

Replied - 06/02/2008
I imagine it is wise to get rid of sites that have too many webrings. I belong to many, but each goes to a certain part of my site (I have a huge site), and the number in each section is limited. I try to check the webrings I belong to, and get rid of the ones that don't meet my stringent criteria. WebRing is combining webrings with similar topics, and this will help. When an applicant has background music that cannot be conveniently disabled by a visitor, I tell them they have to fix this or I won't let them in. I have so many criteria that listing them all for people has become difficult. I am nearly as strict as you with popups and the like, but the problem is that I have popup suppression, so I am not always aware when there is a problem. However, I won't accept sites hosted on Fortune City because of their unacceptable advertising policies. They have some ads that cover the page, and cannot be removed unless the visitor actually clicks on the ad. They had one ad that was especially bad; it told the person that they had a virus on their computer or something, and offered to fix it. I told them that this was an invitation to GET infected with a virus. I don't worry about folks who haven't updated their sites in awhile. Most surfers won't know that the material is old, and it may be of interest to them. So I don't think that is an issue. The reason I manage webrings is so that there will be healthy ones for me to belong to. I would handle more if WebRing would allow it. I don't really have to spend that much time on them. I need to go through existing sites on some I have adopted, but I do that when I have time. I'm not giving up. I can't advise you, but that's how I see it.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy