Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Traffic and limits - 01/01/2008
Pat wrotes: "Personally I think the limit on the number of webrings that has been imposed...."

Firstly, there is no limit. Some people have managed to get into thousands. The "limit" is a natural one. To how many rings can a single web page be topically reelevant to? Certainly not thousands, almost certainly not hundreds, probably not even dozens. If the page is a portal into a large and diverse webSITE then - as a portal - it may have some relevance to a multitude of rings. BUT, it would be better to join with the pages within the site rather than just the entrry/portal page. This for the same reason there are many different rings rather than just one mammoth ring without focus...

As to whether WebRing actually succeeds in bringing traffic to sites....It HAS to. If you get even one visitor from WebRing then you have received more than if you did not belong. But, the question is a valid one. The answer is also complex. Some rings do very well while others do "so-so" - it depends a lot on the manager and the members.

Replied - 01/01/2008
I was talking about the limit on the number of rings a person is allowed to manage when I said the limit was imposed. That's what I object to.

But I'll tell you that my site (one of them) belongs to 300 webrings. I have a large and diverse site, running into thousands of pages. Every webring to which I belong is relevant, and the navbar is on the page of the relevant section. Just to give you an idea, I have pages on genealogy, Down syndrome, music, art, photography, ethnobotany, martial arts, pro-life feminism, religion, politics, terrorism and the wars, health, free backgrounds, dragons, fractals, digital landscapes and abstracts, Paint Shop Pro, and pages in 140 different languages. With consolidations, I'm sure the number of webrings I belong to will drop, and that's fine! But there are people like me with huge sites, and I don't have a problem with that. When someone applies with a single topic web site and belongs to 200 webrings, I sigh and try to look at what all they belong to. They are more likely to belong to irrelevant rings, and general topic rings. I find most general topic rings contain a lot of real junky sites, and I disqualify them for belonging to rings like that. I tell them, and they can remove their site if they want. If they don't, I deny them membership. I don't want to be responsible for someone going to something really destructive through my webring, even if it's a step or two removed. That's how I operate, anyway, and it's why I run webrings: I want to belong to rings that are clean and wholesome. When a site applies, I do a thorough check of everything.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy