Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Ring Master functions - 07/01/2007
As a ring manager, I try to help my members when a glitch or coding situation occurs. We currently had reduced capabilities to check on problems. One of the helpful tools was the navigation code checker. There I cna see if there is something wrong with the nav code. I do not see why I need an EDIT function. If I do not like what someone has written, the site should be suspended.

Read on for clarification.

I recently had a member whose site was suspended. I went to the EDIT page and all I found was name, title, URL and on the left a link to get navigation code. So I chekced the nav code. I compared the U# to the link on her site. By right clicking on the WebRing link, the U# appeared to be the same. There seemed to be no reason why the site should be suspened. i figured the ring checker couldn't get by her script code on the page and I toggled off auto-management and re-activated the site.

But I couldn't leave it at that. I went back the next day. I looked at the source code for her page. Aha! a different U# was in the code than was showing on the link that contained her U#. hmmmmmm. I wrote support but also wrote the site owner.

The problem has been fixed on her end, but what about webring's end. I do some lite programming so I am aware of source codes and the such, but what about the webring manager without such skills? The nav code checker is a userful tool for the ring manager, not matter whether paying or free.

JMHO

Anne

Replied - 07/01/2007
All the tools are useful, we agree. They are not restricted, or restricted to 2.0 members, in order to get people to pay. Those tools generated far more support requests FROM managers and members who did NOT know how to use them than they helped avoid by allowing managers who DO know what they are doing to help their members.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy