Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 7 of 7
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

What is acceptable? - 01/10/2007
I have managed a ring for the last 3 or so years. The ring currently has 161 sites. Our uniqueness rating is 83. About 20% of the sites don't have the correct, working navigation code or have no navigation code on the site. I rotate the ring frequently and make sure that these 20% don't get into the top 10 or so spots. These are good sites and enhance the Ring but I'm assuming the owners are horse people and not techies and don't know how or they use paid consultants to develop their site and don't want to pay to have the nav code added. I try to contact them thru the webring email system, but often don't get a response. Should I just go ahead and suspend them? I hate to do that when they are good sites that webring visitors might really enjoy visiting. I don't think this would result in any more sites having the nav code, it would just tick them off. What is acceptable?

Replied - 01/10/2007
Personally if a site does not have a navigation code on it, I suspend them for a week. If its not on it by the end of the week they are removed.

The idea of having a webring is to give as well as receive visitors. My general idea is, I should be able to start at any random site in my ring and navigate through the ďnextĒ link through the entire webring and eventually get right back to the site I started at.

If I canít do that, and there is a site that blocks the ease of doing this, no matter how great the site is, they are not helping the other webring members and their site will be removed.

The only exceptions I give is say, a site has been in the ring a while and the nav bar is failing, no failed sites will be in the actual ring, instead they will be suspended. I will check to see if the site still exists and they just removed the coding, or if they are doing some upgrades and may not have the code up for that. I know some CMS may require all add on modules to be disabled during the upgrades and what not. If they donít eventually fix it, within a reasonable time, they will be booted from the ring. End of story.

As for old navigation bars/codes? I have adopted a few webrings and there are some sites in it them that have the old system code. It works and I accept it, so long as the material is still current and relevant to the new webring. Many of these sites were created many years ago and I doubt their webmasters are even online anymore and if they do, they certainly arenít updating the pages. So if the content on the pages is not and would not be useful to the current scope of things, they may be removed. If it has some use to people in this day and age, it stays in the ring.

Hope that helps!

Replied - 01/11/2007
Unfortunately allowing sites without code to remain in your webring means you have a broken ring, this in turn means your webring does not function as intended. In fact, you don't even have a ring but a list of sites. That is unfair to the members that DO have their code up as those sites that don't are depriving those that do of any traffic generated by the ring.

If a site owner has no intention of placing the code on their site or removes the code I can't image why any ring manager would want to keep them listed. I'd suspend them and request that the code be placed on their page or deletion will occur within a week otherwise you will never have a working webring. Still, that's up to you as the ring manager :)

Replied - 01/11/2007
OK guys, I get it! This morning, I sent every one of these folks an email thru the webring email system letting them know that they needed to either add the code or fix it if it is not working. Since some of these sites have been on the ring for several years I intend to give them one week to fix the problem and then to suspend their sites with the intention of totally removing them at the end of January if they have not fixed the problem. Thanks for the feedback. As I said, I have been religiously administering this ring for several years, but fell into the trap of continuing what my predecessor had started. I am only now learning what I really should have been doing. Its like there needs to be some type of "classes" for new managers to help you get going and know what to do. I read what I could find in the past but it was very fragmented and hard to understand unless you already knew what it said, but then you wouldn't need it would you.

Replied - 01/13/2007
Shoot, I would suspend them immediate and give them a week to put the code on and email them letting them know they will be deleted in one week if the correct code is not on. Then when a week goes by with no change I would delete them.

If they do not care about your webring then why should you care about their website?

Replied - 01/13/2007
I hear you, but I guess I'm not that hardcore. As I said, I decided to allow a one week grace period for them to bring their sites into compliance. Rather than "not caring about my webring", I would prefer to think that many of these folks did not really understand what was required of them when they submitted their site to the Ring. Or, since my ring is dedicated to horses and many of the site owners are farmers by trade, they had someone develop their site for them and don't know how to change the code. That is why I decided to give them one week to get things corrected before I suspend them.

I have already heard from a couple of site owners who asked what they had to do to be in compliance. I prefer the to use the "sugar" approach as opposed to the "vinegar" approach. After all, it is me and my predecessor who allowed this 20% to not be in compliance with the webring rules because we didn't really do our jobs right. However, that part of the problem has now been corrected.

Thanks for the feedback. By the way, I did suspend about 5 of the offending sites immediately.

Replied - 01/16/2007
Very well put! The same (why have them) would also apply to sites where the code is on a landing page that is hard/impossible to reach from th emain site.

links and "webrings" pages are also problematic. The hurt search engine rankings (by many accounts) and do you really want to have a visitor arrive on a page that basically invites them to leave?

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy