Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 3 of 3
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Webring is doing the right thing. - 11/12/2006
After some careful consideration I think what Webring is doing is the right thing. In the past I would adopt neglected rings and clean them up by removing off-topic websites from them. Then if there were still more than 3 websites in them I would put them back up for adoption to the members of the ring. If there were only two sites left in the ring and there was another, larger webring of the same topic I would delete the ring altogether.

I take pride in my rings and ensure that no off-topic or commercial websites get on them them. I also ensure that the webring navigation code is not hidden or a webring trap like some webmasters like to do. This ensures that my all my ring members get exposure. I might not have the largest rings but they are quality.

Paid membership is not a bad thing. Servers are not free. I rent a dedicated server for over $200 a month (but the forums I run make more than enough to pay for the server rental)and I know Webring must have better servers then what I rent. I am sure most of the people who are complaining about paying are those that host their websites on free servers like Geocities.

I support Webring in their decision and think they are doing the right thing. Maybe all the deadbeat ring masters will now leave and let us that care about their rings.

I too was a angry at the new paid system at first and had some harsh words to say. I also thought I would take out my revenge by deleting a bunch of my rings. I was wrong for that and I appologize to Webring for my actions. But now I can saee where Webring wants to go and I think I will try my best to help it go in that direction.

Yup. a lot of ring masters will leave...oh well...don't let the door hit you in the ass when you go. In the long run Webring will be better without all the whiners.

Replied - 11/12/2006
After some careful consideration I think what Webring is doing is the right thing. In the past I would adopt neglected rings and clean them up by removing off-topic websites from them. Then if there were still more than 3 websites in them I would put them back up for adoption to the members of the ring. If there were only two sites left in the ring and there was another, larger webring of the same topic I would delete the ring altogether.

I take pride in my rings and ensure that no off-topic or commercial websites get on them them. I also ensure that the webring navigation code is not hidden or a webring trap like some webmasters like to do. This ensures that my all my ring members get exposure. I might not have the largest rings but they are quality.

Paid membership is not a bad thing. Servers are not free. I rent a dedicated server for over $200 a month (but the forums I run make more than enough to pay for the server rental)and I know Webring must have better servers then what I rent. I am sure most of the people who are complaining about paying are those that host their websites on free servers like Geocities.

I support Webring in their decision and think they are doing the right thing. Maybe all the deadbeat ring masters will now leave and let us that care about their rings.

I too was a angry at the new paid system at first and had some harsh words to say. I also thought I would take out my revenge by deleting a bunch of my rings. I was wrong for that and I appologize to Webring for my actions. But now I can saee where Webring wants to go and I think I will try my best to help it go in that direction.

Yup. a lot of ring masters will leave...oh well...don't let the door hit you in the ass when you go. In the long run Webring will be better without all the whiners.

Replied - 11/12/2006
Some of the main criticisms of WebRing were the favoritisms and the 'punishment' for expressing an opinion. Many people were just trying to improve stuff and get things done. Sometimes people jsut expressed an opinion.

If WebRing wanted to run an autocracy that was their right. The biggest complaint that I heard was the WebRing was espousing a contributory management system open to user input, yet was really using the autocratic, nepotistic (is that a word?) system to reward the party faithfull and punish malcontents.

Well, that's more than enough big words for me tonight.

Anne

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy