Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 1 of 1
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

greediness, overcommericalism, or just mis-guided? - 11/07/2006
Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I have no problem with WebRing trying to make a profit. I don't even mind if my efforts help them do it...I only mind when they expect the WebRing managers pockets to be the source of the profit!

I already volunteer my time and creativity with no expectation of payment. I find it absurd to think that someone who does not have a commercial site to promote would be willing to pay fees to do this. I've been around long enough to remember a certain manager (not me) who was widely criticized for plastering his own advertisements all over the navigation bars of the large number of rings he adopted. Its likely the current course will lead to a WebRing of managers with only their own commercial interests.

There are wonderful opportunities for WebRing to make money, and I think enhancing the "featured site" concept to provide greater benefit to those who want to use it, is the direction to go. People will pay for services that provide a benefit to them. Its not greed...its commerce. The big internet winners are those that ENABLE commerce. Instead of partnering with their ring managers to drive business growth, the new direction appears to be driving them away.

My hope is that this gets realized before the balance in my WebRing account is depleted. That means I have about a year of giving WebRing back their own money before I fade into WebRing history.

njjimf

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy