Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 4 of 4
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

What's the best way to leave? - 10/01/2006
If you, as a WebRing.com webring owner, decide either to reduce your webring ownerships and memberships to the minimum allowed for "free" or to eliminate them completely, what's the best way to do that?

And if you decide to keep only two webrings and only 5 memberships, how do you decide which 2 and which 5? Do you stay a member of your own webring, reducing your "external" memberships to 3? Or do you leave your own that you love, to try to remain in 5 others?

James S. Huggins

always feel free to contact me directly
http://JSH.us/webring-email

Replied - 10/01/2006
I kept the two rings associated with my businesses and continued membership in those two plus 3 others associated with my business. I hated to give up rings I started back in 1996, but I'm not willing to pay webring to work for them.

Replied - 10/02/2006
"If you, as a WebRing.com webring owner, decide either to reduce your webring ownerships and memberships to the minimum allowed for "free" or to eliminate them completely, what's the best way to do that?"

James, after WebRing PTB's have insulted us with assuming we would even consider 2 rings each and discard the rest that we've built up for years (some for over a decade), we certainly will not be leaving anything behind here. It seems to me that they want to impose their philosophy of Webring management to the extent that they would be quite happy to have all the Rings under System control. I have one colleague who has been invited to adopt a Ring every eight weeks for over a year and a half. He's tried to no avail - and yet this is a Ring of only five entries of which he is one. And when he wrote to WebRing "suport", he was simply ignored. Obviously, they have now taken the final step where everything gets to be run by them according to their own very specific, limited philosophy.

So, we will gradually recreate ALL of our Rings elsewhere. We will inform all of our thousands of members of how to relocate and apologise for the terrible inconvenience, but at the same time suggest that as it is to do with a complete change in WebRing's policies, that they remove ALL of their memberships from WebRing. And we are currently considering, as I have enormous Server space and humongous bandwidth, that I revisit that old research I did in the Yahoo days about running our own webrings and possibly set up an alternative to Ringsurf. With our own established 500 Rings and another 500 that we can easily create that are directly relevant to our websites, it would cost us only minimal time in initial setup. It would be on a par with Ringsurf rather than the bells and whistles of WebRing, but once set up we could offer it to the world absolutely free for all eternity. I currently cannot think of any reason not to do this. Rings can then be gradually transferred as and when people are ready, (but before Christmas). When the Rings are finally empty for a while on WebRing, they will be discarded for the remaining few at WebRing to do with as they wish.

There is still time for WebRing to reverse this decision before the damage is irreperable, but that time is runnning out very fast as some have already ditched their Rings and gone and that process is accelerating.

Replied - 10/02/2006
I started the process and realized that I was again doing work for webring.

I really should email my members and let them know, but I'm not sure that I will adopt out. I wonder what would happen, if I jsut disappeared. Wiull it take the many months to notice as it did before?

Anne

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy