Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 5 of 5
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Ethics within the WebRing Community - 06/08/2006
Is it ethical to go to other rings of a similar nature within WebRing and contact those I would like to have as part of my ring, or is that frowned on? I realize that I am better off finding sites that are not yet a part of WebRing, and inviting them - at least as far as uniqueness is concerned, but there are quite a few really nice sites that fit with my rings that are already part of the WebRing community. I have been doing both, but then happened to think about the ethics of using rings to find sites I like. I have another question that I would like opinions on, but will put it in another message. Thanks for your thoughts.

Replied - 06/09/2006
What you are asking amounts to copy catting and piracy.

Do the original thing instead and get members that are exclusively your own and that way your ring will earn the respect of its members for being unique, as well as earning a high directory placement and possibly a higher search engine rating for both the ring hub and its members.

There is far too much duplication on the system now as it is without adding to it.

Replied - 06/09/2006
Thank you so much for responding. After thinking about it, that is what I felt, and why I asked. I appreciate you confirming it for me.

Replied - 06/09/2006
Just another point of view - I occasionally (very occasionally) suggest to a website applying for one of my Rings that they might also want to join another one. As I say, I don't do it too often, as I'm aware of the 'uniqueness' aspect of Webring.

On a slightly related topic, I did once approach the members of one Ring (mine) to ask how they would feel about merging into a larger Ring (not mine) which covered the exact same topic. The responses were so negative, that I never broached the subject again! (although the phrase 'get a life' did actually spring to mind!)

Cheers,
Ms_C

Replied - 06/10/2006
re Mrs_Canuck. On a slightly related topic, I did once approach the members of one Ring (mine) to ask how they would feel about merging into a larger Ring (not mine) which covered the exact same topic. The responses were so negative, that I never broached the subject again! (although the phrase 'get a life' did actually spring to mind!)

This is the reason why I always get my members to vote on these issues using an electoral system that Colonel Gadaffi would be proud of.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy