Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 6 of 6
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Sponsor Ads - 02/07/2006
Dear WebRing,

I see now that you have moved your sponsor ads up above the featured sites on one of my most popular rings. Is this a system wide change or are you just playing around again?

Why don't you folks just have an entry page to the ring hubs with ads crammed into every pixel. Then you wouldn't have to take away from the ascetics of the ring hub pages and the ringmanagers can maintain a li'l more control over the looks of them without your constant rearranging of items in order to bring you profit.

Just a suggestion and one man's opinion.

Lazarst

Replied - 02/07/2006
Dear WebRing,

For you folks to have your "sponsor ads" in direct competition with ringmanager's promo ads is a direct violation of the community spirit that you supposedly wish to engender here at WebRing. This is further evidence that ringmanagers are simply your unpaid servants who manage rings for your advertizing.

I know that this truth is painfully unacceptable to you BUT it is growingly apparent to the rest of us.

Your attitude will prevent you from achieving true success in your financial endeavors and possibly be the ruination of what has been accomplished already here at WebRing.

I for one vote for a new "official face" here at WebRing.

Hardly anyone else that cares will express themselves or give constructive criticizm here for fear of retribution and fear of being misunderstood. This is where and what we have come to here at WebRing.

I am optimistic and hopeful for the future of WebRing.

Again, let me say that you will get what you want only in the measure and to the degree that you help others obtain thir goals and desires. This is a universal principle of life and one you would benefit from adhering to.

Your loyal servant,
Lazarst

Replied - 02/07/2006
Without addressing the "tone" of the post, the observation regarding the placement - or even presence - of "sponsor" links on hub pages with paying featured sites is a good one.

Replied - 02/07/2006
Dear WebRing,

I take it that the sponsor ads are automatic and relative to the content of the ring like Google ads and that you have no control over what appears as your ads. (On the ring hub pages)

Do you believe that the placement of your ads which are in direct competition with those of the ringmanager's promo ads and those sites in rings that market the same product is part and parcel of the community spirit you wish to engender here at WebRing?

Lazarst

Replied - 02/07/2006
The answer to the first would be "that is correct" The answer to the second would be "yes".

Recognizing that some managers are managing as a business - directly or indirectly - we have offered managers the option of controlling ads that we need to run throughout the system in order to operate our business.

In the spirit of community we have offered this capability at VERY deeply discounted rates - with the predictable result in more cases than we care to discuss, that managers run their own ad serving services on hub pages. The worst of them run ads, charge for featured sites and do nothing else to promote the ring the manage. That, in our admittedly biased opinion, misses the community spirit by a wide margin. But, not all would agree with that we're sure.

Replied - 02/07/2006
apologies. That last post was actually done by webring staff, not lazarst.

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy