Member Sites  ::  JOIN  ::  Forum  ::  Info  ::  Next Ring  
WebRing Managers Community - Untitled document One of the original and largest Ring Manager rings, promoting individual WebRings since 1998

Forums     Login   Signup

WebRing Managers Community

Manager: wrug
WebRing Managers WebRing presents the WebRing Managers Forum, a place for WebRing Managers to discuss ideas, ethics, tactics, etc. This Forum is for WebRing discussion only and is closely moderated.

Sponsored Links

PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE PARTICIPATING
A Note on Pendings
  For those processing new submissions we'd like to offer these reminders/bit
read...

Forum Posts - Start a new discussion! Posts 1 - 2 of 2
All Threads |   All Posts   ]

An interesting note - 12/04/2005
The other day a big rig had a problem with one of the cables connecting the trailor to the tractor and ended up dumping its load of pipe and at the same time taking out a power pole that had a transformer on it. Power was out on the north end of town (where I live) for over 7 hours while they cleaned up the mess, fixed the pole and replaced the transformer.

When power was restored, I was now receiving email with subject lines including statements from my ISP that the messages were spam. Then, a day later, I could not retrieve any mail from any of my accounts. I called my ISP to restore that ability and it just so happens that for the last year or so this 'spam' filter has been in place and they couldn't figure out why it had just taken effect on MY account after the power outage.

Anyway, they've now whitelisted me so I get all messages, spam or not.

The interesting part is that SOME of what they've been filtering from me in the last year, and that I haven't been getting, are legitimate emails from WebRing.

They didn't tell me about this, they didn't post anything on their own website about it, etc. You all might want to call your own ISPs to see if this is happening to you without your knowledge.

Marissa

Replied - 12/04/2005
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
You all might want to call your own ISPs to see if this is happening to you without your knowledge.

Marissa
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

An excellent point, Marissa.

Last night I was on the phone with a client. I'd helped her set up her new email accounts and this client doesn't understand, or want to understand, how the computer works. POP3, SMTP, IP Address ... doesn't matter to her. Make it so she can push a button and it works.

Anyway, I'd helped her set up her new email accounts and she wasn't getting email.

Long story short, seems that Southwestern Bell / Yahoo (yep, Southwestern Bell has contracted with our dear friends Yahoo to provide internet connectivity services) ... seems they had turn ON her "spam filter".

We found several HUNDRED emails by logging onto her account through the WEB, locating those emails in a "folder" where her Outlook could not download them.

Why would the do this?

Two reasons:

1. They really hate it when people use tools like Outlook to manage their mail. When we do that, we don't have to EVER (and I mean EVER) log into the Southwestern Bell / Yahoo screens to manage our mail. And that means we don't get to watch advertisements. And that reduces their revenue. And that could, if carried far enough, reduce the number of cars, jets and homes the president could own.

2. They don't really listen. She never asked them to turn on spam blocking. But they didn't hear her not ask. They just did things the way that was convenient for them. Ignore the customer.

(Can you tell I do not like The Phone Company? Combine TPC with Yahoo and you punch all of my buttons!!)

Anyway, your advice is a good one, Marissa. Get on the phone and be absolutely, positively sure your ISP isn't blocking anything.

James S. Huggins

to contact me: http://JSH.us/webring-email

All Threads |   All Posts   ]

Contact Us | Copyright © 2001-2016 WebRing®, Inc. Terms of Service - Help - Privacy Policy